Volunteering with the Boys and Girls Clubs allows you to make a difference in our community by giving young people a safe place to learn and grow.
Volunteering is not only about sharing your time and passion, but it's also about getting the satisfaction of knowing you are helping people. It's about giving back and it's about gaining valuable work experience and increasing career opportunities.
Here are some reasons why you might want to volunteer..
- It allows you to explore career options. If you aren't completely sure
that a certain occupation is the one for you, volunteering gives you a
chance to learn more about it before you make a commitment. Like
informational interviewing or job shadowing, volunteering provides
you with a chance to research the career alternatives open to you.
- It is a great way to develop new skills. For some jobs, formal
education or training may not be required, but employers will want
you to possess certain skills. Volunteering is a way to develop
skills that you can transfer to the occupation of your choice.
- It is a way to gain valuable career-related experience. Some
occupations will require you to possess a certain certificate, diploma
or degree. But employers will also want you to have experience. So
even if you have the skills and education you need, volunteering can
offer you the chance to apply these skills in a "real-world"
environment and provide the practical experience many employers
- You can meet new people. This is good in its own right, and it also
allows you to establish some important networking contacts you
might use to find a paying job or as references.
- Volunteer positions can often involve a large degree of
responsibility, if that is what your looking for. This will allow you
to exercise leadership, develop problem-solving skills and be
Even if you already have the skills you need, the experience employers are looking for, and the job you want, volunteering can still benefit you:
- It provides the opportunity to develop new skills and pursue new
interests. You can never have too many skills. Developing new
skills and learning new things are valuable in their own right, and
not just a way to further a career.
- Volunteering gives you a chance to share your knowledge and
expertise with others. It can be very rewarding and fulfilling to
know that all the training and education received has added value
for your community.
- Whether you are learning new skills or developing skills you
already have, volunteering provides the opportunity for you to gain
confidence and self-esteem.
- It allows you to get involved in your community and to make an
impact on the lives of those in need. Volunteering will give you
the chance to learn more about the community in which you live.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- LICENSED CHILD CARE SERVICES - firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- CHILDREN & YOUTH SERVICES - firstname.lastname@example.org
- YOUTH MENTORSHIP - email@example.com
Call the Club and request to speak with the supervisor/coordinator in charge of a specific area to discuss volunteer opportunities available.